Friday, October 06, 2006

An Englishman, an Irishman and ....... an American

Popped out for a few beverages of the brewed variety last night with an Irish guy who is here on exchange and an American friend of his, and ended up bar hopping around DeKalb.

If Wednesday is the night on the lash in Mikkeli then Thursday is certainly the night that NIU's students go out and large it up. Now in Mikkeli its great going to Kharma and getting 50% off with the club card, but here there is nothing like it. No sir. For the students of NIU Thursday night is the one when you can go out and get completely blottoed without breaking the bank. All of the bars offer 75ct drafts (Used to 50cts but the district council raised it to try to lower it to curb excessive drinking)

Yes 75cts for that lovely amber nectar that in the words of Frank the Tank "Tastes so good" Now there is a downside to this, which is waking up the next morning with more quarters in your pocket than a vending machine!

And it doesn't stop there... I thought early on in the evening it might be nice to enjoy a nice glass of whiskey on the rocks, so I ordered myself a Johnny Walker and was amazed when the guy gave me a glass three quarters full and relieved me of 3 dollars! In fact I was so shocked that I asked the guy if he took the right money.

One conclusion that I have come to here is that Americans can't drink for shit! Unfortunately I had to be proven right by my American drinking partner pouring the contents of his beer down my trousers. Which was to say the least fairly embaressing because he managed to hit the crotch area, and I was forced to explain to everyone that "No I haven't pissed myself, I'm not that drunk yet" But anyway, fairgame, it's all good in da hood.

Sorry for the heavily alcohol biased post, but well, gotta let people know the important cultural differences!

Tootaloo for now !

1 comment:

Jugi said...

Wish we had those get-hammered-nights. Haven't got hammered in ages! Well, as we concluded last time, there's plenty of time for that in Finland :D